Cameron Ells became a Professional Engineer in 1989. He has provided independent support on a per project basis to over twenty-five engineering and environmental firms across Canada and in the United States, as well as to legal and financial institutions, the Province of Nova Scotia, the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Health Canada, Natural Resources Canada, Environment Canada, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and the Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (CCME).
Risk evaluation, management, monitoring, and integration into program management, organizational planning, and decision-making have been part of his career, which has included:
- structural design engineering (eg. hospital and university buildings)
- field inspections (eg. municipal and civil engineering projects)
- environmental consultancy (eg. human health risk assessments)
- staff management (eg. Regional Director, SNC-Lavalin, Environment and Water)
- entrepreneurship (eg. Cameron Consulting Incorporated, since 2000)
- educating (eg. Instructor, Dalhousie University ENVE 3500 Air Quality 2019)
- work as a Trustee (eg. Halifax-Dartmouth District Labour Council) and Exec. Vice President
- work as a Director of a trade association (Environmental Services Association of Nova Scotia), a public sector entity (Shubenacadie Canal Commission), private sector companies (e.g. Chebucto Pockwock Lake Wind Field Limited), a non-governmental organization (eg. Toastmasters International Clubs in Nova Scotia), and a Canada Revenue registered charity (MacNab Hill Cemetery Society).